If you’re engaged and already in the planning stages of your wedding, you might be wondering whether you really need to set up a wedding registry. Without a doubt, a professional wedding planner in Lowell, IN will strongly recommend that an engaged couple set up at least one wedding registry. Here are some of the reasons why.
You will receive gifts anyway
Deciding to not create a wedding registry will not stop your loved ones from buying you and your significant other a wedding gift. All it will do, in most cases, is force your guests to guess what you might like as a wedding present. Not registering can also put your family and friends at a loss when they want to get gifts for your engagement party or bridal shower. Ultimately, in the absence of a wedding registry, some guests will simply give you money, while others are likely to buy whatever they think is nice and thoughtful.
You will receive things you don’t want
If you are not registered anywhere, chances are you will receive things you do not want—because, again, not creating a wedding registry will not stop your guests from bringing or sending you a gift. You could also end up with items you do not have space for. In the end, your choices are to keep the gifts, re-gift or donate them or return unwanted gifts to exchange them for something else. The problem with that last option is that most guests won’t provide a gift receipt, and you probably can’t return it without one if you didn’t register where the purchase was made.
Registries aren’t just for household items
Traditionally, engaged couples use wedding registries to sign up for new household items like dishes, cutlery, pots and pans, small appliances and linens. However, wedding registries these days can include just about anything you can think of—you can even receive cash or honeymoon funds. Add what you want or need to your registry so your guests can have an easy time shopping for your gift!
You should be thinking about the future
Just because you don’t need an item right now doesn’t mean you should omit it from your wedding registry. Take some time to think about what the future may hold for you two as a couple. Think you might want to start entertaining guests at your home? Planning to host family for the holidays? Setting up a wedding registry doesn’t mean you’ll have to immediately use all the items on your list. Go ahead, add that beautiful set of china or crystal wine glasses that you like so you won’t have to purchase them with your own money a few years down the line.
Take the opportunity to upgrade
This is the perfect opportunity to upgrade your old household items. You can also use your wedding registry to pick out items that you like as a new couple starting your lives together.
Are you ready to start planning your big day? Contact Signature Banquets to speak with an experienced wedding planner in Lowell, IN today!
If you’ve just gotten engaged, congratulations! There’s nothing more romantic, courageous and honorable than tying your life to the person you love.
Don’t let it stress you out, but you got a lot of decisions to make soon, as essentially the moment you announce you are engaged your friends and family are going to begin asking you about your wedding date and venue.
As a wedding planner in Lowell, IN, we’ve put together this little primer in hopes that we can help newly engaged couples think over the decisions they will need to make over the upcoming months to plan their wedding:
- Set a timetable first, then work out the exact date later: People are going to begin asking you about your wedding date right away. Even if you don’t know the exact date, being able to say something like, “We were thinking sometime next summer,” can be a big help at keeping people at bay as you do the hard work of planning. This lets your guests start making preliminary plans themselves.
- Pick a location: Your location is going to have a lot to do with who shows up and the overall style of your wedding. Do you want to have a local wedding in your hometown, or do you want a destination wedding? Just keep in mind that the easier it is to get to the location, the more people will feasibly be able to attend your wedding.
- Set your budget: It is traditional for parents to contribute to the cost of a wedding; however, you will need to have a clear and frank conversation with them before you start planning the wedding about what that budget will actually look like. Waiting until after you’ve begun planning to discuss your budget is a great way to unnecessarily hurt people’s feelings.
- Guest list: Your guest list is going to affect your budget, just as your budget is going to affect your potential guest list. Having a guest list is extremely important, as most wedding vendors charge based on headcount. This is also a good time to decide on your wedding party.
- Hire a wedding planner: Most people cannot plan a wedding on their own. If you don’t have family or friends that can help, consider hiring a wedding planner in Lowell, IN to shoulder some of the responsibility.
- Shop wedding venues: Once you’ve got your guest list, your budget and your date, you have everything you need to begin shopping for and booking your wedding venue. Some wedding venues come with certain services or with discounts for vendors, so make sure you ask about this.
- Vendors: You’ll need to find a band or a DJ, caterers for the food, someone to make the cake, someone to provide the flowers, a bartender, a photographer and more.
- Shop for the dress: This should be done with your family and your wedding party, and it should be fun! Take a limo and drink champagne.
- Keep your eyes on the prize: Planning a wedding can be a long and sometimes stressful process. Focus on your love for your partner. If you can remember to do that, everything else will work out.
Signature Banquets is the premier wedding planner in Lowell, IN. Our beautiful wedding venue is located here in town, and is, without a doubt, one of the most beautiful wedding venues in the state. If you’re looking for a wedding venue, or could use a little help planning your wedding, please give us a call today!